Foods I Syllabus
Foods and Nutrition I
309-444-3167 Extention 1133
Welcome to foods and nutrition I. My name is Mrs. Wilson and I will be your teacher for this semester class. Through the semester you will learn about different types of food, its nutritional value and how to prepare a variety of foods.
The foods lab has been remodeled recently, so it is very important that you keep the lab in good order. Always leave the lab in perfect condition before you leave the room.
You will find that this is a very different class from any other class you have taken at WCHS for one, you get to eat all of your projects, but the most important thing is the atmosphere that I expect in this foods lab. I want you to come to class excited to be in this class, and ready to learn as much as you can about nutrition and preparation of food. The only way that we can accomplish this feat is to have your cooperation. I will not allow rude, disruptive students in this lab. If you feel that you are one of those people, perhaps you are in the wrong class. If disrupting the learning of other people is your main goal, this is not the class for you. So therefore, we have several rules in place.
There are several rules that we need to go over to ensure a good, productive semester. These rules are written to ensure that the rights of each person in this classroom will be observed.
1. Mutual Respect We need to have respect between students and teacher. We will be doing lots of group labs in this class. So it is important that we all work together in a productive manner. Foul language will not be allowed in this class, no matter if it is directed at me or another student. I demand respect from you, and you should demand that same respect from me If you are not cooperative in your foods lab, you will not be allowed to participate in the next lab, you will do written work instead, and you will not get to eat the food product.
2. If you are sleeping or talking without permission or are disrespectful in any way,I will issue an after school detention in my room from 3:00-3:15 on the day of the incidence or the next day only. The after school detentions will involve cleaning the foods lab, not just putting your time in. You will be given only 2 teacher detentions and then you will be sent directly to the Dean’s office. If you are sent to the Dean’s office, you will not be allowed to make up any work for that class period.
3. If your behavior is interfering with the classroom instruction, you will be sent directly to the Dean’s office and will not be able to make up any work for that class period, and you owe me time after school that day or the next day.
4. You will be counted tardy if you are not in the room when the bell rings at the beginning of class. All tardy rules from the handbook apply.
5. In this class we will be using Foods For Today Book: Glencoe McGraw Hill Your book will be kept in the classroom. DO NOT take the book out of the room. I should be placed on the cart at the end of the class.
6. You will need to bring a notebook, folder and something to write with, (no red pen) each day to class.
7. If you are caught cheating, you will receive a 0 for that assignment. I am the judge and jury, so don’t make me wonder.
8. If you do not write your first and last name on your papers that are turned in, I will not grade them. No Name No Grade
9. Electronic devices will only be allowed in class with the teacher’s permission. All electronic use will be in accordance to the WCHS electronics policy.
10. You may not bring food or drink into the classroom other than during lab. If you are bringing a drink to class on lab day, do not let it be seen in the hallway. You will not be allowed to take food out of the classroom except during lunch and after school.
11. Stay seated until the bell rings.
12. If you would like to use the rest room, ask me for permission, take the “key’ hall pass and sign out on the sheet of paper on the door in room 133.
13. Students that are absent are responsible for makeup work. You will be allowed 2 days to complete make up work. The exception to the rule shall be for assignments or tests that were assigned prior to the student’s absence. The assignments shall be considered due on the assigned date or on the date the student returns.
Your grade is based on total points that you earn in my class. I do not assign a letter grade until grades are due at the end of the quarter or semester.
Grade Mark High Low
A 100.00% 93.50%
A- 93.49% 89.50%
B+ 89.49% 87.50%
B 87.49% 83.50%
B- 83.49% 79.50%
C+ 79.49% 77.50%
C 77.49% 73.50%
C- 73.49% 69.50%
D+ 69.49% 67.50%
D 67.49% 63.50%
D- 63.49% 59.50%
F 59.49% 0.00%
14. Late work will be accepted no more than one day late.. If the assignment has been returned to the class, you will receive only 50% for the assignment.
15. If you are absent for a test, they will be in the library. You may take them before school or after school. You will have only one week to make up the test, after that time, you will receive a 0 for your test grade.
16. If you are absent for a lab, you will have one week to make up the lab at home. You must turn in a sample of the food product that you made at home to receive credit. You must use the recipes that we have used in class unless it has been approved by Mrs. Wilson. If it is impossible for you to make up the lab at home, I will provide an alternative assignment if you check with me within that week’s time.
17. Assignments will be due at the end of the class. All assignments must be put in the basket for your class.
18. In this class, we will be participating in the bakeshop activity. It is a month long lab in which we make all of the cookies and candies for the Madrigal Dinner and also for the Holiday Bakeshop. This is intended to teach you workplace skills. During this time I expect you to work hard and to follow all directions. It is a really busy time of year and I expect a lot out of you, but it is also a very fun time of year. All previous classes have said this is their favorite time of year. Warning, you might be sick of cookies and candies by the time it is over.
I know what we are going to have a fun semester of learning about food and its preparation. If you ever have a concern, talk to me before or after school. I can be found in the sewing lab, Room 135 if I am not in the foods lab.
By the end of the semester, I want you to learn helpful information about nutrition and foods preparation, but most importantly I want you to learn respect for others in this class.
1. Explain ways in which baking is both an art and science (Goal 11. B4d)
2. Identify and use tools of measuring and baking to promote efficiency and avoid waste of resources (Goal:11.B4b)
3. Identify customary and metric units of measure (Goal:6 D 40
4. Deduce how to measure different ingredients accurately, using appropriate equipment (Goal: 6D.5)
5. Verify the purpose of leavening agents in baked goods (Goal: 7C5b)
6. Relate reading to prior knowledge and experience and make connections to related information (Goal1.b.5a)
Chapter 20 Preventing Kitchen Accidents
Chapter 21 Equipping the Kitchen
Chapter 23 Using Recipes
Chapter 24 Preparation Techniques
Chapter 32 Dairy
Chapter 33 Eggs
Chapter 30 Grains
Chapter 28 Fruits
Chapter 29 Vegetables
Chapter 43 Quick Bread